· Treatment Diary
· Yellow_Pages

Search

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Total Hits
We received
page views since May 2003

Fibroids International Fibroid Network Support Group Fibroids News Information events: Forums

Fibroid Network Charity :: View topic - Exercise after myomectomy
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Exercise after myomectomy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fibroid Network Charity Forum Index -> Myomectomy
View previous topic :: View next topic  
licklecharlie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:28 am    Post subject: Exercise after myomectomy Reply with quote

Hi. Wow, I only just discovered this site. It's two months to the day since I had my myomectomy, and I wish I'd realised this site was here before the op!

Now, I KNOW I need to see a doctor to get a definitive answer to this, but I just wondered if anyone could give me some general suggestions.

Basically, the operation has given me my life back. I feel better than I've done in, well, maybe a decade or so. My mum said she hasn't seen me this bouncy since my young teens. My brain isn't fudgy anymore, I can walk, drive, sit for long periods etc without sciatic pain, and I've come off my anti-depressents after a loooong time on them. In short: the operation was a huge success!!

My surgeon thinks I should have no problems with fertility now, so my husband and I have decided to start trying for a baby at the beginning of next year. I'm desperate to start trying, but my husband has never known me with this much energy and this little pain (it's our 4th anniversary next week), so we both just want to enjoy life for a bit, have a proper holiday, go for long walks etc, before having a baby. Which means I have a lot that I want to cram in before the end of this year! I really want to get fit and lose some weight; all these years of feeling rubbish have not been kind to my figure! Plus, one of my lifetime ambitions is to do the London Marathon (I know, I'm strange). I know I'm going to have to postpone that for a good few years now, but I at least want to do a few 5 or 10K runs this year, if possible. Last week I tried doing some (minimal and fairly gentle) jogging on the spot, two days in a row; on the second day my tummy swelled right up and became kinda sore. It went down again after a day or two, and I don't think I've done any real damage, but obviously it's too soon to be doing any aerobic exercise.

So, after that ridiculously long preamble (sorry about that!), here is my question: when is it likely to be ok to start doing aerobic exercise? The notes the hospital gave me said I can start going swimming after my 6 week check-up, so I'm going to gently start that hopefully this week or next (I just haven't had a chance yet). I'm hoping that'll build my muscle strength up. I'm also thinking of starting Pilates as it's low-impact. But I really want to be out there, jogging! The weather is gorgeous and I'm just itching to go out for a run! But my main priority is not doing any damage to my womb area. Does anyone have any suggestions?
View users profile Send private message
Kim01

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:30 pm    Post subject: Exercise after Myomectomy Reply with quote

Hi All,
I also just discovered this site surfing the web from my sofa where I am recovering from a myomectomy I had nearly 3 weeks ago. I had 9 fibroids removed on the 13th of July in London. It was great to read about the experiences of other woman going through this surgery.

In terms of my recovery, things seem to be going well, I am walking, have been out to dinner with friends and even went to the movies last night. I do still have pains in my stomach, but get these mostly at night right before bed. I want to do everything I can to ensure that I heal properly and get back into shape so I am starting to wonder about what exercises I can do to tighten up my lower ab muscles to get rid of my kangaroo pouch. Everything I have read says to wait 4 to 6 weeks, but I was wondering are there light pilates type exercises I can do? Are there any videos or books any of you would recommend? or just tell me about your experiences
sach

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me how their weight is post surgery in comparison to pre surgery?
Fibroid Network

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:52 pm    Post subject: Big Difference between Pre and Post Surgery Weight Reply with quote

sach wrote:
Can anyone tell me how their weight is post surgery in comparison to pre surgery?

icon_biggrin.gif Hello
My fibroid weighed 11 pounds , approximately 5 kilos. I was 167 pounds prio to surgery and I'm now 2 years post abdominal myomectomy and have maintained my new weight of approximately 144 pounds more or less throughout . and I've had no complications since the op.

Another way of describing it is, I was UK clothing size 14/16 (USA 10) pre -surgery, and now I'm a UK size 10 or (USA 6).

This is without once, going to the gym.

However, prior to developing fibroids I was very slim and quite fit , so I basically went back to the UK size 10 I was before I developed fibroids. I also used to exercise whilst I had fibroids sometimes, to keep healthy and improve my circulation.

Also prior to my myomectomy, I did household exercise i.e digging over my garden etc, to improve my respiration, and generally improve my circulation as I was unsure what would happen post-op. I think it helped, as I was out shopping with the family (not lifting) a week after the op.

The recovery is apparently a bit like if you've had a caesarian section during pregnancy. Because your abdomen has been carefully stiched up just over the womb, Dr's don't recommend you doing anything strenuous whilst you are healing there, as you want the incision to close and heal naturally, if you strain that area with exercise, within 3 months of the op, you may separate the stitches, which will slow down your recovery and may lead to internal scarring.

I would take what ever the Dr advises. I now have a flat stomach, without exercising that area after the op. All my abdominal muscles knitted back to gether, despite my having a vertical rather than a bikini cut. And I have no problems with exercising at all.

If anything , I would ask the Dr about whether you should get fit before the op. My Dr said he thought it may have helped that I had less fat around the abdomen as it makes it easier to get into to the right area for the op, and easier to see what your doing. Also, you have to use your arm and leg muscles more to sit up straight and to go from sitting/lying position to standing, so its worth toning those up pre-op. You are encouraged to walk within 3 days of the op, and you should get tips on physiotherapy from the phsiotherapists in the hospital. I enjoyed walking around after my op, your not encourged to lie in bed all day for 2 weeks, because, you recover quicker if you do get up and about as soon as is recommended.

Basically, the only thing that made me look big was the fibroid, once it was gone I went to my old size. I actually lost more weight then the fibroid weighed, I don't know, but maybe the extra weight was the blood that was supplying the fibroid, which no longer needed to go to the fibroid, so maybe my blood volume went back to normal, who knows?

All I know is I'm happy its gone, and I've had no problems since, and I can still have hildren, because my womb is intact.

Hope this assists
Bridgette
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
sach

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much. I feel like when these fibriods are removed I will lose they weight I think they may have caused me to gain. I say that because, roughly 2 yrs ago(i believe that's when my problem began) I started gaining
weight despite me excercising regulary and eating pretty healthy. I couldn't understand it. I think there is definitely a link to it, but I don't know if there is any medical facts to support the connection of weight gain linked to fibroids. If anybody has any info on that, I sure would like to read about it. Does anybody feel the same?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fibroid Network Charity Forum Index -> Myomectomy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: